Tuesday 27 January 2015

Sore fingers.

Well I tried all the scissor suggestions and still the only ones which cut really nicely at the stork ones which are killing my thumb.
It is only Tuesday but already this week we have had a broken boiler (we will replace it in the summer), a minor fault with one of the cars and a few slates off the roof. I am counting that as the three things which come at the same time.
It doesn't look like much. I am nearly there. I have war wounds fighting this but the end is in sight.
If I were professional I would have hung this before photographing. I am not so here it is draped over one of the sofas in the kitchen.
And I still haven't decided what to do in the very centre.

I woke up this morning not sure whether the boiler (furnace) would be fixed. I has been, but I dressed in a full set of thermal underwear prepared for the worse case scenario. It got very hot under that quilt today!

Edit. Just to clarify. This is the back of the quilt with a layer of batting on the back. I have cut out round each motif and applique to create faux trapunto when I add a final layer of batting and I quilt it.

11 comments:

  1. what am I looking at? Is it white applique on cream? Pretty whatever it is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHHH the light just went on!! it's the back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for your string of bad luck! the quilt is pretty - I am dealing with sore fingertips from hand quilting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally, January WILL pass, this is what I keep saying to myself as January has not been kind to me this year - one thing after another, I'm ready to just throw up my hands.But it's nearly done now...

    I am looking the look of this quilt and want to see more, much more. I have a thing for creams and beige since LE, now I love them all, even from the back

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poor fingers! But I know the result will be worth it with all of that lovely trapunto. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Sally - such an effort cutting out all that! I have done some machine trapunto like this before and I know how careful you must be. It will look wonderful when done - lots of dimension :)
    Glad you got the furnace fixed - not good without the heating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha! Just as well I read that last sentence. I had no idea what we were looking at LOL. Hope that boiler gets fixed soon, must be jolly cold without it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! Well done for sticking with it - I'm sure that it will all be worth it! I shall keep my fingers crossed that you are right, and your three 'bad luck' things have all happened now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's going to be beautiful, if there is no pain no gain they say. LOL. Hope you can go for a hand massage when done.
    Hugs Bunny I love your work even though I don't comment all the time.😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked to another post of this quilt. I admire what you are doing. It looks nice at it is already. I sure will come back. You made me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A little late to be suggesting this, but it really did just occur to me. Is there room in the handles for you to add a little moleskin to the areas of your finger/thumb that are affected? Also, it is bugging me no end that I think there is a scissor out there with a tiny round nib, sort of a disc, on one point so it will slide along and not go through the underlying fabric. I'm not talking duckbill scissors. But I can't remember for the life of me where I might have seen them. If I do run across something like that, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete