Sunday 19 January 2020

A year since my last post.....

And still this quilt is a long way from finished.....
The paper pieced outer border is done. Ignore the jazzy pink red rug it's laid out on.
In this smaller house, the dressing room is the only space large enough to lay it out and even it is limited.

I have started the border of vases of flowers which shall go between the hexagons and the outer border.
Nineteen more vases of flowers to go....

On our lives, I don't think too much happened in 2019. Fliss and I didn't go to the Festival of Quilts this year but had a very nice few days down in Cornwall doing an applique course with Margaret Mew.
We are all doing well. Except I had a nasty fall which involved a  footstool and me ripping my leg open. I had to keep the leg elevated for six weeks. That put my weight loss journey back. All is back on track now. I think we've had they greyest rainiest winter ever. Today is the first two days of sunshine in a row since September. And it's been far warmer than a normal winter. Climate change is real. And frightening.

And then there's Brexit. What can I say? A nation has committed itself to losing it's biggest trading partner willingly. Insane. So much emotional energy has gone into fighting the fight against Brexit, I am exhausted and having lost I, and many others are grieving our collective loss of freedoms.

8 comments:

  1. So good to hear you are still quilting. I was in England visiting my sister in October and Brexit was all they talked about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been exhausting and stressful. And now it's just beginning.....

      Delete
  2. Sally, you always do such intricate things with your borders. So much to see and inspire. Thanks, once again, for the wonderful eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so much work you've accomplished on that quilt! Your jazzy rug really threw me, thinking it was part of the top! Wondering if your mention of Brexit is what made the FB wardens decide this post not appropriate for its delicate viewers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see how, Brexit has been all over FB for the last few years..... I see others whizzing away on their EPP and applique. I just don't know how they do it. I spent three hours yesterday just prepping one little vase, not with the flowers, just the vase.

      Delete
    2. I had read somewhere that they were trying to cut down on "click bait" links and that's when us normal people started to see opposition from the FB powers that be to links to our blogs. Go figure. They rely way to much on algorithms that I for one don't fit.

      As for what you perceive as slowness in your progress, I have always been amazed, impressed by how much you get done by your constant pecking away at your projects. My biggest weakness has always been to think I need big chunks of time rather than just do what I can in smaller pieces. Slow and steady wins the race rather than what I often do which is wait for the perfect opportunity and get nothing done! It can get frustrating seeing others working at a quicker pace, but for me, it's the process that I enjoy and don't enjoy it if I'm rushing it. On the other hand, I can relate to wondering why what seems like one small step can take so long. Carry on, you're getting there!

      Delete