Tuesday 28 October 2014

The quilting design process

Someone asked how I do it. So at the risk of asking you to watch paint dry, here is my process.
 I chose the area I wanted to work on, and traced it making sure to reverse the image and leave enough space outside the design area.
 I then went over the tracing with a Sharpie pen.
 Sometimes you get lucky and the very first thing you draw works. I liked this feather.
 But I still had that huge area above it and not enough room for a full flourish.
 This 2nd attempt was not any better.
 So I wondered about using the shape of the flowers as a motif. Nah, don't like that.
This feather in the opposite direction has made me happy. I still haven't decided what I shall do in that square where the bottoms of the flower vases/pots meet. My eraser is my friend. But tomorrow is another day.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for explaining, Sally. It looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your tutorial, it could not have come at a better time as I have just started placing the first stitches in the ditch on my applique quilt.

    ReplyDelete