Tuesday 21 April 2015

I am always learning.

But let me start with a progress report. It might not look like much but there are hours and hours of work in there.

It helps when I take photos even if I cannot see it all in one shot. I can compare last weeks photos with the new ones and I can see some progress.

 Cat hairs and fluff.
George just has to lie on this quilt whilst I am working on it and even when I am not if I don't shut the door. Can you see the cat hair and fluff he brings with him. I know I shall not be able to stop him, he isn't a dog. Training cats is possible but only to a point. So my new quilting tool is this clothes brush. At least I can stop stitching cat hairs into the quilt....
I had been worrying about why when I gave the tutorial on doing the tricky gridwork why the little elipses didn't stand as proud as they do on the quilt. I thought it might be because the fabric is slightly heavier. Then I had a light bulb moment in the middle of the night. It didn't stand proud of the background because I had drawn the grid with the weave of the fabric. Twist it round to the bias where the fabric has a little stretch and it works so much better.

Spring is here. The flowers are starting to come into bloom and the birds start singing at about 4.30am. I loved the colours of the birds when I lived in Australia but the song of British birds takes some beating.
And I have had a delivery. These will be the basis of my next quilt. The plan is to make one in these fabrics and an identical pattern in something completely different.

10 comments:

  1. Your fabrics are very pretty, they will make a beautiful quilt. Do you have a long arm quilting machine or do you do that wonderful quilting on your domestic machine? Our spring flowers are blooming too. Winter just stayed too long this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilting is stunning and I love that you let George enjoy the quilt, too!!

    Can't wait to see what you do with your lovely new delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've been very busy, Sally! Lovely as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally love love love your quilt ! All that work has definitely paid off

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your quilting continues to amaze and delight. I look forward to seeing your next project, love that fabric line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to keep learning....pays off...your quilt is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sally how incredibly beautiful your centre of the quilts is, those baskets look like you have used real cane and woven them they are so so 3D. Great tip on quilting on the bia's to get more loft. Will try and remember that one. Wonderful colours in your flowers. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good point to know on the bias based grid Sally, your quilting is breath taking. I always think that my quilts aren't complete without a cat hair somewhere! Since my own cat died I have almost missed my catty clean up sessions! I was a pro with the soft tape.

    Now you've got my interest with your new fabric bundle. I can't wait to see what you'll be making next.

    ReplyDelete