Friday 19 October 2007

More of the cottage and Guy Fawkes Night

Strangely the upstairs was far better and cleaner than the down. Except they felt the need to put stickers up in three of the bedrooms. In one of the photos you can see what happens when you peel them off.



I feel a little better today, enough so I even got dressed and out of bed. I planned to sew a couple of quilted cushions for the cottage but though the spirit was willing the body was not.
I've just heard on the news one local authority is banning a bonfire on the 5th of November because it's not environmentally friendly. November the 5th here in the UK is when we celebrate the plot to blow up Parliament being foiled. Traditionally children make effigies of Guy Fawkes and it is placed on top of the fire which is lit in the evening. We also have fireworks, toffee apples and other goodies depending on what part of the country you are in. When I was small, children would make their Guy a week or so beforehand and beg by saying 'a penny for the guy'. The money would buy fireworks. It never seemed to be considered begging except by my mother so I never had the pleasure of making a Guy. In later years effigies of other political figures have sometimes replaced the Guy. It seems a good way for a society to vent it's anger with the powers that be symbolically.
If I ruled the world, I would not stop the bonfires but I would limit fireworks to only be allowed on the night itself. As it is they will probably start this week end and go on until late November.

1 comment:

  1. I quite agree they should only be allowed on the 5th. We've had fireworks being let off in this neighbourhood for over a week. Someone let a really loud one off right outside earlier I nearly went through the roof it frightened the life out of me.

    ReplyDelete