Sunday 30 March 2008

Spring is sprung

We had Toad in the Hole last night. For those of you who aren't Brits, this is simply sausages with batter poured over them, and then roasted until risen.
I served it with mushroom and red wine gravy.Not only did the clocks go forwward here to British Spring Time but the sun shone warmly. I did some work in the garden though I am severely limited by my knee.
You know spring has definitely arrived when the first bluebell comes out.
And the pond starts to get smothered in blanket weed,
And Forget-me-nots are in flower.
These are lovely delicate late daffodils with two flowers per stem. Aren't they delightful?



These specie tulips did not appreciate the hail and snow last weekend.
And the little tree peonies have the look of something prehistoric.

6 comments:

  1. have you tried putting peppers, onions and mushroom in when you pour the batter in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Toad in the Hole looks delish! My grandmother used to make it- she came from Yorkshire! We loved it, when we were kids!!
    Poor flowers taking a beating from hail & cold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apples are nice in Toad in The Hole aswell. Just cut a few up and add with the batter.

    I spent yesterday cleaning out all the weed from my pond. Trouble is I also found we had a load of baby fish so I spent more time putting them back in than cleaning the pond up.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had that in ages. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you - I think my daffs when they finally bloom are going to be stunted - every time they try to grow a little, they get pummeled by another batch of snow!

    I've tagged you, btw, for the 6 word memoir. Come play!
    http://idahobeautyquilts.blogspot.com/2008/03/six-little-words.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sausages look awesome! Do you have a recipe for those?
    mywhisperingpines/tricia

    ReplyDelete