Saturday, 2 February 2008

different bindings

(all these photos should be clickable to enlarge them to full screen)

This is just my normal way of binding, though it could have been redone as it's a little wobbly but this silk frays so much that I'm not going to even risk undoing it and restitching.

And I hem down by hand on the back.

For my talk I thought it might be nice to hand my sample pieces round the room so people can follow the lines with their fingers. So I've done some quickie bindings on them. This one, I stitched down by machine on the front, then folded it over and stitched over the back with a fancy machine stitch. If I were doing it again I'd pin it down so it would be a little more even.

In the last copy of the AQS magazine I received someone wrote about facing a quilt. I couldn't follow their directions. Then Fibremania put yet another facing method on her blog, but at that involved using 4 pieces of binding, it wasn't what I had in mind.
I cut out a rectangle of facing fabric the same size as this little quilt and cut out a smaller rectangle about an inch in out of the middle of this piece.

I stitched it to the front of the little quilt 1/4 from the edge. I then turned it inside out, first clipping the corners.

I used an orange stick to get the corners nicely 'fitted'. I stitched round by hand about a 1/4" in from the edge but only going through the quilt backing fabric (pink).

And now I'm in the process of hemming it down. It would have looked better if I'd used the pink fabric for the facing.

This is my normal binding except normally I hide the stitching on the mitre, just inside the overlap. I actually feeling they don't need stitching down at all but my first entry into the festival of quilts this was picked up so I developed a way of stitching the mitre which didn't show. Then last year I was still picked up for not stitching them down, so the answer must be to make them show (or not enter the FOQ).

So this is how I plan to stitch them from now on.

This last one was another quickie way on a stitching sample. Stitched it by machine on the front.

Folded it over and just stitched the front down. I should have taken a photo of the corner as I avoided the mitre problem totally by curving the corners.

1 comment:

  1. You are brilliant. I've been following the facing directions too, noting the variations. I've done what you've done here, except I was instructed to understitch by machine before turning - like you do on facings for clothing. Well, of course, you can't get into the corners so it is a little weird looking in the end.
    Your brilliance is in doing that row of hand stitching on the back just in from the edge. That is the missing part of the equation to get these facings to stay turned! I must try this.