I sat on the sofa last night burying the threads and took a look on the back. I had checked the back when I first started and the tension was fine so I just kept stitching away.
I found the backing fabric has bubbled up unbelievably. This fabric felt 'different' from normal quilting fabric, much stiffer but as it doesn't have to drape I wasn't fussed. Wrong!
So now I have to unpick the whole motif. I'm tempted now to dissolve the water soluble thread and do away with the trapunto. Time is of the essence.
I've also realised I've booked myself in to deliver my Sandown (National Quilt Show) entries on the day Fliss comes home before flying off to South America in the morning. This time with her is very precious so I'm going to have to find some way round this.