Thursday 8 November 2007

½ pint of blood and why I create

I went to the doctors today simply because I've been nagged into it. (the previous advice was from NHS Direct). I apologized before I showed him my leg and said I didn't want to waste his time. I rolled up my trouser, and let's just say he was impressed (grin). He said there was at least ½ pint of blood in there. So I'm to rest it some more and just check no more bruising appears in the next week or so. I wish I had some hand work to be getting on with, even stitching down a binding would be welcome.
I have the threads for my big wholecloth, I have both my Auroras serviced and raring to go, even if I could sit at my machine I couldn't get down on the floor to pin it up (well the sample bit first). So frustrating.

Kate has tagged me in a 'why do you create' sort of thing.

1. When did you start and make craft?

I have early memories of making little gardens on plates, using moss as the bushes, mirrors as the grass etc. Making peg dolls was another one. Stitching started with embroidering a tea towel at School in Australia (thank you Mrs Milne!). My teacher said 'nice work Jenny'. I didn't mind she had my name wrong, it was praise and I lapped it up. I designed and made clothes for my Sindy doll, I made a patchwork Humpty Dumpty and soon after I got the book on how to draft your own dress making patterns, I started designing and making my own clothes. I added details like hand smoking, I thought I was so cool.

2. Why did you start creating?
Well the Sindy stuff and my own clothes, just because I wanted my stuff to be originals. I learnt to knit in my twenties just because it was better than sitting in front of the TV doing nothing.

3. Why do you create?
What else would I do with all the ideas going through my head?

4. What do you create?
Quilts

5. How has this changed since you began crafting?
I'll change this to 'how has this changed since I began quilting?'
When I started piecing it was always with the aim of making it quickly.
Now speed is not a concern, my only concern is to try to make the very best I can do in both design and execution. I'll never achieve perfection but the journey is good.

And I tag
Exuberant Color
Idaho Beauty
If life gives you patches make quilts
Ferret Fabricates
Artmixter

2 comments:

  1. Sally, thanks for the tag...I answered on my blog. I hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, your knee injury sounds ghastly! Hope you're feeling better soon. I enjoyed reading about your creative start in life.

    ReplyDelete