Wednesday 5 December 2007

And another sample today

Today I did a couple more samples and had a play. I couldn't resist doing a Patsy Thompson feather (they are much quicker to do than my normal ones) This one was done using Madeira Polyneon in a pastel variegated colour. I used a 90 embroidery needle for this thread. The background is the YLI Silk 100# again with a 60 Microtex needle. If you recognise the background as Mc Tavishing, take another look. It gives the same swirly impression but without all that bothersome backtracking.
Then I played with different infills for the grid work on the wholecloth. I tried just doing some basic stippling (too boring), then I tried some mini feathers (and I do mean mini, those diamonds are 1"), they looked good except the spines of the feathers developed a line from one diamond to the next. I quite like the swirls and I like the way the curves alternate directions in the rows, a sort of wave like look.

And I've even managed to fit in some cutting away of the batting time. Still a very long way to go on this..... And I've yet to start on the big sample so I can decide whether the alternate diamonds in the grid shall be padded or not.

It's good to be back at my machine. Like coming home,

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sally,
    Gosh it's nice to see you back at your sewing machine again! Those mini feathers are beautiful and so intricate; not sure I could ever find the patience to work that small. What do you do with all your sample mini-quilts once you're done practicing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the different patterns in the diamonds look fabulous, Sally! I'm so pleased you're well enough to sew again - and I bet your DH and friends are too! :-)))
    Rosemary K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sal,
    I do like your almost McTavishing!
    I agree the backtracking is bothersome and this looks just as good!

    I may try and copy this if that is OK?

    ReplyDelete