Monday 10 August 2009

Serendipity


In the post this morning was a copy of Fabrications. They'd kindly sent me a copy as a photo of Exquisite Feathers was in their report from the National Quilt Championships. At the show I'd bought a copy of American Quilter to see the Paducah winners and someone had written an article about using 1/8" ribbon inside the binding to stabilize the outside edge of quilts. In the photo I could see what the handling by curious hands had done to edges of my quilt. The two things came together and right in front of me was an advert for Fantastic Ribbons . I rang them as all their ribbons are sized in metric and I thought 3mm might be about 1/8" but could be sure. They will be at the FOQ next week so I can see them in person.
And they have lovely gross grain ribbons which will come in handy for another quilt which is planned in my head though not yet on paper let alone fabric.

5 comments:

  1. It always amazes me that quilters seem to find interesting ways to solve problems! I'd love to hear more about the ribbon in the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, I think I have the same issue of American Quilter as you mention, but I can't find a mention of using ribbon as an edge stabilizer. Can you tell more about it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just took a class with David Taylor who does this. He uses regular twill tape available at most sewing shops

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the link, I will look out for them when i go to the FOQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to know more about using the ribbon for stabilizing or maybe the number of the magazine please Sally.

    Cheers
    RobynK NZ

    ReplyDelete