Saturday 18 August 2007

FOQ 2007 "When Heide Met Sally"

This quilt resolutely refuses to photograph well. Heide Stoll Weber's fabric positively glows. It's hard to believe it's cotton and not silk. Do click on it to see the stitch.
I bought these fabrics at the FOQ last year. I pondered them for several months before deciding how to use them. I considered incorporating Ricky Tims handyes and calling the quilt when Heide met Ricky but the unhappy experiences with the colours running on Ricky's fabrics and not feeling able to cut into Heide's left me in a quandry.
So I knew it had to be a wholecloth, but how to make it mine? So the idea of continuous feathers evolved. I drew the spines using all sorts of round things like embroidery hoops in different sizes taking each curve gently into the next. Then all I had to do was to draw the feathers. I did this directly onto the fabric. Occsionally inelegant feathers appeared and I over worked them which made for confusion when it became time to stitch. And then sometimes whilst stitching, the needle overroad what I'd drawn and 'told' me where to go.......
I'm very pleased with this piece and plan more the same style.

11 comments:

  1. went back twice to look at this quilt, the photo definately does not do it justice- wel done

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very impressive - would love to see it in person. Pity I just can't sneak off to the FoQ tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally....what beautiful quilting you do! Every one of your quilts just floors me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sally,
    This quilt gives me heart palpitations! It is just lovely...the combination of the beautiful, softly melding colors and your graceful seductive feathers is just lush! This is breath-taking and if it did not win something, it should have!
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another amazing quilt, Sally!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sally I saw this quilt at the FOQ and you are right it just glows and pulls the viewer in closer, my friend and I were looking for the special lighting, but no it was just the fabric, and the quilting is just superb, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took a lot of pictures, when I get them uploaded I will send you any decent ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sally! I was the little chap with the moustache at the FOQ who wasn't quite sure if you were REALLY the quilter who'd done "When Heide met Sally"! (I was with you when you were "taking the photos for your blog").
    My photos of you holding the quilt didn't come out well. Bother!
    Have a question for you, though. How one earth did you do the colours on "Peace 3" without them bleeding into the quilting around the edge? What a fantastic quilt it is. Peaceful. Hypnotic. Magnificent!
    nb: Loved "When Heide met Sally" as well! Superb quilting. Good to discover your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is incredible, and makes me want to try wholecloth again, but I will need to do a whole lot of practising first (lol).

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow. otherwise it makes me speechless.

    ReplyDelete