Thursday 3 March 2011

I slept for weeks and woke for short periods



But now I'm nearly but to normal or what passes for normal these days.

I kep thinking about doing an applique quilt, someting quite traditional but my own design. I did a lot of displacement pottering around the house, busy doing nothing.  Ideas wouldn't quite come.

Then Esther Aliu launched a BOM. After much umming and ahing I eventually bit the bullet and decided to trust her to come up with something I'd like. I still feel guilty for not doing something original to me but at least I'm doing something.

And insanely, I'm not just making one quilt, but two!







I'd seen people preparing applique shapes with starch and freezer paper and indeed have even tried it once before but this time I'm sold. I did make my freezer paper double thickness to give me extra stiffness to iron against and that helped a lot.






Whilst browsing the web I found someone using Magic Tape for positioning applique shapes for machine applique. Now this is wonderful, it doesn't move the piece one iota whilst positioning. Love it.

8 comments:

  1. I definately wouldn't feel guilty. We weren't all meant to draw patterns. Your gift is your feathers.
    I love the feminine pink block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back - its nice to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're feeling better!
    I love the applique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The process of working through this appliqué block of the month may serve 2 functions for you. 1) a gentle way of getting back into the groove of quilting whilst you're still healing and 2) solidify the appliqué quilt that is rattling around in your head. You're still healing and need some time to do so.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt in a couple of weeks.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really pleased to hear that you are feeling closer to normal. I hope it stays that way.

    I also *hope* you enjoy making this quilt as much as I enjoyed designing it. Oh wow, you're in for some surprises Sally...but looking at your wonderful blocks, I know you'll breeze through it and continue making us all envious...

    As for not making your own design, well, imagine how I felt when my DD asked for feathers, "you know, exactly how Sally does it"...

    !!!

    ...well, I can't fault her taste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome back to life. Would it help you to know I was part of a worldwide shingles study and because of that people in their 50's can now get the shingles vaccine?

    Starch and press is my favorite method, I use manila folder card stock for 3 or less, if the shape is used 4 or more times I use Templar heat-proof plastic. I couldn't get freezer paper to keep a crisp edge.
    Happy quilting, Sharyn across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi i have found you via another talented quilter who loves your feathers, glad to hear you are better, i also found a very easy method of qpplique on you tube for the middle of a dresden plate, but could be used in any applique i guess, so heres the link if you would like it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcy_p4pryE4&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blocks. Could you explain how you used 'magic tape'? Is it two sided sticky, used on the back of the applique? If so, how/when do you remove it? Curious minds want to know, LOL!

    ReplyDelete